Have you ever struggled with picking your course topic? I know I have. Choosing a course topic can be overwhelming. Especially if you don’t have an audience.
The good news is there are easy ways to find and evaluate topic ideas even if you’re starting from scratch.
Here are some simple tips for choosing your topic.
Where to Find Topic Ideas
Okay, let’s say you want to create an online course but don’t have any topic ideas. How do you fix that?
Well, there are several places you can go for ideas. Here are my top three:
- Facebook and LinkedIn Groups - Social media sites like Facebook and LinkedIn can be a goldmine for topic ideas, or validating problems in your chosen topic. Head over to each site, search key terms and look for any groups on your topic. Join the groups and feel free to lurk for a while, then begin offering value.
- Membership sites or forums - These places are golden because they’re filled with people who have an interest in one topic. Search for forums and membership sites. Join them. Research recurring problems. While most membership sites require a fee, there are many forum-style sites, like Quora, that you can access for free.
- Blog comments - Have “competitors” in your niche? Great. Head over to their blog and check out the comments to see what people are talking about. Look for recurring and common problems for course topic inspiration.
What if you have too many ideas?
Maybe your struggle isn't coming up with an idea but having too many of them? How do you know which topic ideas are "good" ideas, i.e. worth your time?
Well, successful course topics usually have a few common elements. For instance, how interested are you in the topic? How much expertise do you have? Enough to teach others?
If you want to evaluate whether your course topic is worth pursuing, here are a few questions to ask yourself:
- Am I interested in this topic enough to spend months creating, marketing and promoting a course on it?
- Do I have enough knowledge about the topic to teach others?
- Is there an audience for my topic?
- Does my audience care enough about the topic to spend money on a solution?
- Does my audience have money to pay?
There are more questions you can ask to find out if you’ve chosen a successful topic, but in the end you've got to choose. That's the hard part. Wouldn’t it be nice if there were a tool to help?
You’re in luck.
I’ve put together a free Topic Selection Tool to help you choose your course topic without overwhelm. The tool is designed to make the decision for you so you can move on to creating your course.
Click the button below to download it!