Why should you even care what I have to say about online courses? I mean, who am I anyway? While writing a new article for you, this question popped into my head, so I decided to share some things about myself. I've never done one of these posts before. Here goes:
- I don’t know where I’m from - I grew up overseas (military brat). We moved around a lot when I was a child, then my dad retired in a small southern town that I absolutely did NOT identify with. So whenever people ask me “where I’m from” I shrug and mumble. It’s awkward.
- I’m a sci-fi geek. Especially old school sci-fi like The Prisoner, Twilight Zone and the Charlton Heston version of Planet of the Apes. I also love reading sci-fi books, especially anything by Octavia Butler. Classics!
- I don’t like scary movies. Because they’re gross and they give me bad dreams.
- I bombed my one and only speech as Junior Class President during high school - And, yes, it was the worst feeling ever. It’s also the reason why I’m no longer afraid of speaking in front of people: nothing can be worse than embarrassing yourself in front of half of your entire high school.
- I don’t own a car or a TV - People think I’m weird or broke because of this fact. Truth is I simply don’t like driving, prefer a good book or conversation to TV, and would rather save the money or spend it on traveling. (Update: finally bought a car *sigh*)
- I like to live as simply as possible. I live in a home that some would consider small and I can easily go 6 - 9 months without buying new clothes.
- I’m a pescetarian - fancy name for “vegetarian who eats fish.” I’ve also been vegan and a raw foodist at other times in my life. For the record: I’ve got nothing against anyone who eats meat. Just isn’t my thing. My mom says I didn't even like it as a baby.
- I’ve fasted for 21 days before - I used to run a health store/ juice bar in another life and really got into juice fasting. It was a great experience that helped me to release a lot of mental blocks.
- I love cycling - My happiest childhood memories all involve a bicycle. When I was in my mid-twenties I started riding again and absolutely loved it. Now it’s my primary means of transportation.
- I’ve been skydiving - Loved it and plan to do it again!
- I love long conversations - Growing up, my dad and I would talk for hours. We’d discuss social issues, religion, race, whatever. It taught me how to think and appreciate different perspectives. I’m deeply grateful for the experience.
- I can read in three languages - Notice I didn’t say “speak!” I studied French for 8 years and Spanish for 2, but never felt confident enough to speak regularly, so I can read and comprehend but don’t speak well. Update: I went to Spain and Chile recently and spoke only Spanish!
- I love training and teaching - I drifted a lot in my 20’s but I always came back to training. I was a trainer at Starbucks and Apple, then went on to get a Masters degree in studying how people learn so I could create online courses.
- I love being an entrepreneur, but I'm not a natural - Many entrepreneurs have stories about selling candy during elementary school as a sign of their destiny to be an entrepreneur—not me. I hated selling people shit they didn't need in school (and I still do). It took a long time for me to learn how to sell, market and run a business. And I'm still learning!
- I love words - When I was in high school I used to pick a word of the day, make a badge with the definition and pin it to my shirt.
- I’m an introvert - I enjoy connecting with people but I get my energy from spending time alone.
- Sometimes I tweet about racial issues - A lot of “online entrepreneurs” don’t. In my youth I witnessed a ton of overt and covert racism. I think we make the world a better place when we talk about these things. I also tweet about entrepreneurship and music.
- I love pie and tacos - This means I also "love" exercising.
- I believe in vision boards - Everything I’ve ever put on my vision board has come true. I believe in the motto: “If I can see it, I can be it."
- I’ve been to Machu Picchu. It was amazing. (And, yes, it was on my vision board.)
- I love jazz - My dad introduced me to jazz when I was a kid. Miles Davis is my all time fave. Closely followed by Coltrane and Mingus.
- I wanted to play saxophone but my mom got me a clarinet - This is a metaphor for my childhood.
- I’ve been an emcee (what rappers used to be called), a spoken-word poet and a radio DJ - Now I'm learning to DJ on turntables. If you can't tell, I love music!
- I make up songs and remixes in my head - It’s taken 20 years to realize that this probably means I should explore music production. Life is an adventure, bring it on!
- I dislike rules but love rituals
Back to You
Whew! That was nerve-wracking. Would you do me a favor and share something about yourself in the comments? Because I'd love to get to know you better.